Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part-Time Jobs in Oman !!!

Part-Time Jobs in Oman !!!

As you guys know, we don't have part-time jobs in Oman. These jobs which could simply be defined as hourly paid jobs. I have no idea why its not allowed in Oman, but lets say that we have it in Oman. That would make me raise these two questions for you guys to discuss:

1-What is the pros and cons of having such jobs in Oman?

2-Would it solve some of our unemployment problems that we are facing or not?. why?

Administrator

hmm..not sure about your 1st question....but about the 2nd...i would say...

it would for sure...help! ... and it can give a image to the whole employment figure in Oman...

Honorable Member
    I believe that there are part time jobs and these people who work as part time they refer them as " Casuals"
    But it is not a steady part time jobs they only ask them to work when there is a need for them .

A question here ? would you trust your own fellow citizen to look after your affairs as a part time job?
    As in our socity and culture only slaves works for Omanis not an a free man works for a freeman .
    The idea of such thing is repulsive dont you think?

Administrator

hmm...

Dark Project said: As in our socity and culture only slaves works for Omanis not an a free man works for a freeman .
    what slaves are you talking about? :confused:

Honorable Member
    Its written in the passport (Mawla so and so tribe)
    After all slavery is fading away since 1970
    Throughout our lives, we see in the mirror the same innocent trusting face we have seen there since childhood

DeSerTDesTroYeR,
    could you explain more on how it would help solving some of the employment problems..

Dark Project,
    why wouldn't you trust your fellow Omani? I don't see any reason for not truting them andd if you didn't trust the citizens then who would you trust? is it foreigners who are here for money and as soon as they get the money they are here for, they would leave and llive their own life in their countries or any place they want to !!
    and I don't understand your point of slavery since I don't really see it in Oman, but thats not the case we are having here...

Elite Member
    a great idea.. I think some of the university students do a part-time job.. the most famous one is driving taxies.. good for them

I think we do need this type of job coz this way we'll have more sources of income..

but the question to be asked here is: Are there Omanies ready to work twice a day?! I doubt it.. some maybe but not most.. what do u think?
    Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire (2:201)
    Allahumma Ameen

-----------------

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS

Honorable Member
    This is great idea & I was thinking about it from a long time........ Do u know what I would like to work in a part time job??? as a waitress or a saler in a fast food resturant What interesting gobs .
    I am what I am!

Infinity Member
    Originally posted by el7ilwa
    This is grat idea & I was thinking about it from a long time........ Do u know what I would like to work??? as a waitress or a saler in a fast food resturant What interesting gobs .
    Thats nice job for you el7ilwa and I will come to the resturant so u can serve me and I will give nice tip
    Surat Al-Nisa'a (Women), verse 82:

“Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy"

Honorable Member
    Lah walah I would like to work there but I wont serve u icy till the day of my death ... I just gonna watch the ppl & the other waitress serve them.....& keep ur tips 4 ur kidds better .
    I am what I am!

Infinity Member
    el7ilwa the problem is u won't know me so u will serve me anyway . But before I leave the resturant I will ask u to bring me ice tea and u will know it's me LOL

“Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy"

Honorable Member
    Ok this is over I changed my mind just to not see such kind of ppl
    I am what I am!

Infinity Member
    Ok I will take over then and I will serve you

Administrator

Aseer_el_Shooq said: DeSerTDesTroYeR,
    could you explain more on how it would help solving some of the employment problems..
    basically.... unemployed can find temp jobs and also at the same time gain experience...

as part-time job can cover alot of different areas...soo the experience which a one can have from those different places would always be counted in the CV overall..

part-time job can contribute to one of the main problems for new graduates....which is experience... if those gradutes worked while they were studying...they would of had some experience...which almost every single company asks for...

floret: wow!..this is the first time i hear about this....sounds great..that they are seeking other ways for income.

floret
    but the question to be asked here is: Are there Omanies ready to work twice a day?! I doubt it.. some maybe but not most.. what do u think?
    well, I guess not all, but the only thing that would drive them to it is their need... if a person is working and getting a 120 O.R,, is that enough to have a family and kids!!!? well, it might be another big thread to talk about, but at the end its the need I guess who will force them..

basically.... unemployed can find temp jobs and also at the same time gain experience...
    I will have to agree with you on this point, but from my opinion I see it as its more of another source of income in order to upgrade the lifestyle of the poor specially.. without forgetting that it would include high level jobs like professors, supervisors...etc

lets see what other members think...

I would agree that parttime employment is a good way of learning and getting eperince aside from the income you are getting.
    When I was studying abroad, alo of students in teh uni used to take parttime jobs. it helped them alot and I am sure when they go and look for a job they will be more apealing.

I dont thin it is not allowed to work as a part timer in Oman, what is not allowed is to have two contracts. You can work for a company with a permanat contract in teh morning and have a special contract in the evening or on daily basis. Nothing is worng with that I guess!!

Part-time Jobs for university Students

Working part-time while you're going to university can provide more than just money. You'll gain a valuable reference for future employment, even if your job as a student is not related to your academic major. Many students find that working enhances their time management skills. And your job gives you a break from the pressures of academic life, helping you learn new things and meet new people. In addition, part time jobs will facilitate in understanding the working nature.

I would like to have your ideas in application of this system in Oman.

i just came to know that there is already a thread similar to this raised by aseer alsouq, in bussiness sabla, i am leaving this thread under moderators control. with my apology to aseer alshouq

Honorable Member
    Arabian P U r right it is not allowed just in case making many contracts with many firms, but the prb the part time jobs which we know most of them in the morning???:lost: So how can a student manage his time between his lectures time & work time???? It is difficult.. I know that Banks gives part time jobs , but In summer 4 the students cauz they have holiday & can work in morning.
    I am what I am!

Well such a great topic up here Aseer_alshoq.
    Am a big time part time job seeker.I totaly agree with samaki that somehow some student tend to think that part time job is a wasting time.I mean to waste it in learning and meeting people is better then going back home watching tv or so like some of my classmates do!
    About Oman many part time jobs exist but its kinda diffrent from the place you are at Aseer. Here in the United states most of the student work not because of the love of learning but mostly because of the need for money...and if you compared it to our university student back home and am soory for saying that - its a fact- most of them are in a good standered level of living and these kind of jobs doesnt really rock their mind.i know some who does but its rare...

Many part time jobs in oman like will give you some examples: Tutoring-sure u know about it-, promotions, in bank like el7elwa mentioned, baby sitting, gardener, Festival times, and the list goes on..

P.S. I would like to encourage students and people for this chance of life..as in my side i was in a will for it-teaching arabic clasess for arab kids- but somehow couldnt make it, personal reasons. Next semester i'll be starting it inshalla in my major field.

I beleive part time jobs or summer jobs shape teh personlaity of the younge man /woman. They tend to get mroe experience becuase they will work in many places. I advice all students to go and look for companies in holidays and work. It is an effiecnt way to spend your time.

there are a lot of things which are connected together some people might say that part-time job will reduce the unemployment rate..but who knows..lots of things need to be considered...such as labour market flixibility, job security etc.:lost:
    they have never had it so good

Elite Member
    I don't think with current unemployment rate there would be any chances available for part-time jobs. I would really like to have one too.

Anyway, if the intention of part-time job is to get experience, I would say going for unpaid jobs (volunteering )will be fantastic experience. Its not necessary has to be with charitable organisation, but even with companies, I don't think anybody will refuse to recruit someone at free cost.

Again, these upaid jobs have advantages that you will be able to learn things that are beyond your expectations, if you're good enough as the person who trains you or the mentor will not feel you're threat to his job. The disadvantage part is, you will not have an income plus you will not have access to sensitive matter of the company unless you're permanet employee.

This is from personal experience.
    Hell is empty all devils are here !

Honorable Member
    Part-time jobs is an exellent idea... It's something I've been thinking about for a long time..
    The good thing about these jobs is the experience you get from all this, a lot of students graduate from university or college with not enough experience about the real world, and this gives them a hard time to blend in. Another thing, it helps a lot of students financially, when it comes to tuition fees and so a student can choose the profession he/she wants and be able to afford it...
    Basically it's a useful thing for students and to those who need to earn some extra money, other than their permenant jobs.
    ~A woman is like a tea bag: You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~

Nancy Reagen

Originally posted by Dr N
    Part-time jobs is an exellent idea...
    do you think so???

you might find something useful about this topic in this link click here
    Last edited by nas206; 16-01-03 at 07:39 PM.

Honorable Member
    nas206, yes I do think that it's a good idea, if used in the proper way!
    ~A woman is like a tea bag: You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~

Nancy Reagen

Elite Member

DR N

Basically it's a useful thing for students
    as u said it is useful & u find them doing that
    could u tell me what kind of jobs u mean >??

my self I would like to go fishing
    Fishing is one of the most popular hobbies,and jobs in the world.
    Every day thousands of boats around the world sail the seas and
    oceans to catch fish to feed u ppl .

Last edited by Navy_boy; 18-01-03 at 02:17 AM.

Honorable Member
    Well navy boy, there are many jobs that students can look for, but the thing is, we don't have it over here in Oman yet...
    And when I say a job, I don't mean sitting in an office doing some paper work, what I meant was working at a restaurant or a coffee shop, in a shop, or a petrol station, or even baby-sitting!

Nancy Reagen

Elite Member
    but Dr these part time jobs r not likely to be in oman ,,,coz when the shop owner wants someone to work almost all the day as it is happening in oman ,,, it is difficult to find eg; (shop) required a person to work in specific period of a day ...

Thread Information