Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 148

Thread: Why is the average IQ in the Arab world so low?

  1. #1
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488

    Why is the average IQ in the Arab world so low?

    As far as I know there are biological factors that have to do with brain size. Ashkenazi jews are the smartest, then Asians, and then Europeans. Arabs and Africans come after Europeans I think (Israel doesn't have the highest IQ because of the Arabs and the other Jewish groups)

    http://www.rlynn.co.uk/pages/article...ligence/t4.asp

    Lol I know it's not professional and I'm mixing things up but
    what do you think could be the other factors of low IQ in the Arab world?

    Education must be one of the reasons. I also read an article that says cousin marriage could be one of the reasons. Cousin marriage is not healthy and might affect the coming generations iq. See how traditional things can be destructive?

    Now I'm 100% sure that I shouldn't marry an Arab I won't share my genes with someone with an IQ of 83 (the average in Oman)

    Anyway do you have anything to say about this?

    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ☣ Area 51 ☣
    Posts
    1,809
    Rep Power
    543
    You must be kidding; size doesn't matter; yep! Even for Brains.

    The most contributing factor to IQ is the education system. I'm sure you can find some sort of a relationship in the data between how developed the country is and the estimated IQ.

    Arabs pioneered at science back in the days and exported knowledge to Europe and the world. Also, don't forget that the IQ could be increased by mind exercises and training, and at the same time the opposite is true. The brain is just like a tool; if you don't use it will rust. I think that's why we Arabs are way behind others these days.

    We are not idiots; just fools for not using our tools...

    Hopefully things will change!

    So yeah; you can marry an Arab
    Sabla's Riddle Solvers:
    Zeruga (SRS-1 link)
    Filly_Stiffler
    (SRS-2 link)
    Lightning (SRS-3 link)

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    That average IQ result of Oman that site your provided that put is based on the IQs of Neighboring countries...(Iraq 87, Qatar 78), so basically its only an assumption!

    83 = Low average which is not very surprising for Oman to be honest!

    Thanks Gypsy

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Srour King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mwanza Tanzania
    Posts
    681
    Rep Power
    228
    Some 98% of literates in the Christian world had completed primary school.On the contrary less than 50% of the literates in the Muslim world did the same.In the entire Arab world the total number of full time researchers is 35,000 and there are only 50 technicians per 1 million Arabs.In the Christian world there are up to 1000 technicians per 1 million.
    My take is that Arabs do not care about education.They left everything since the end of the glory in Spain.They don't need engineers,doctors,scientists or it experts.They can always engage the Europeans,Indians,Chinese to work for them.For Arabs to come back to there senses they need to develop their minds.How do they do that is a big question.If Oman will use 3 to 4% of in research and development of its GDP it can produce its own experts and forge forward.If it will allow their cousins from other parts of the world and try to develop together perhaps it can raise their peoples IQ in less than 10 years.I don't believe that we the Arabs are stupid,we can change.
    EAST WEST WADI AL AQ IS THE BEST

  5. #5
    Moderator foreignflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    All over the world
    Posts
    5,901
    Rep Power
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by Srour King View Post
    Some 98% of literates in the Christian world had completed primary school.On the contrary less than 50% of the literates in the Muslim world did the same.In the entire Arab world the total number of full time researchers is 35,000 and there are only 50 technicians per 1 million Arabs.In the Christian world there are up to 1000 technicians per 1 million.
    My take is that Arabs do not care about education.They left everything since the end of the glory in Spain.They don't need engineers,doctors,scientists or it experts.They can always engage the Europeans,Indians,Chinese to work for them.For Arabs to come back to there senses they need to develop their minds.How do they do that is a big question.If Oman will use 3 to 4% of in research and development of its GDP it can produce its own experts and forge forward.If it will allow their cousins from other parts of the world and try to develop together perhaps it can raise their peoples IQ in less than 10 years.I don't believe that we the Arabs are stupid,we can change.
    When you say Christian or Muslim, do you mean Muslim Arabs? Because obviously not every Muslim is an Arab, there are Christian Arabs too. Just wonder...
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt~

  6. #6
    One Drop Alex Belucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Muscat
    Posts
    4,181
    Rep Power
    686
    Because Arabs still think its 1400 years ago.
    "There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby and invisible." - Maria Sabina

    "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery..
    ..none but ourselves can free our minds!"

  7. #7
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    You must be kidding; size doesn't matter; yep! Even for Brains.

    The most contributing factor to IQ is the education system. I'm sure you can find some sort of a relationship in the data between how developed the country is and the estimated IQ.

    Arabs pioneered at science back in the days and exported knowledge to Europe and the world. Also, don't forget that the IQ could be increased by mind exercises and training, and at the same time the opposite is true. The brain is just like a tool; if you don't use it will rust. I think that's why we Arabs are way behind others these days.

    We are not idiots; just fools for not using our tools...

    Hopefully things will change!

    So yeah; you can marry an Arab

    I'm not joking about the brain size wallah The bigger your brain is the smarter you are! Ashkenazi jews and Asians have the biggest brains.
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  8. #8
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Belucci View Post
    Because Arabs still think its 1400 years ago.
    Unrealistic Muslims.
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  9. #9
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Srour King View Post
    Some 98% of literates in the Christian world had completed primary school.On the contrary less than 50% of the literates in the Muslim world did the same.In the entire Arab world the total number of full time researchers is 35,000 and there are only 50 technicians per 1 million Arabs.In the Christian world there are up to 1000 technicians per 1 million.
    My take is that Arabs do not care about education.They left everything since the end of the glory in Spain.They don't need engineers,doctors,scientists or it experts.They can always engage the Europeans,Indians,Chinese to work for them.For Arabs to come back to there senses they need to develop their minds.How do they do that is a big question.If Oman will use 3 to 4% of in research and development of its GDP it can produce its own experts and forge forward.If it will allow their cousins from other parts of the world and try to develop together perhaps it can raise their peoples IQ in less than 10 years.I don't believe that we the Arabs are stupid,we can change.
    Yeah I don't think we Arabs are that stupid. As long as the Ashkenazis are semitic why can't the semitic arabs be smart?

    I really think Yemenis are smart but no one can see that because of many things.
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  10. #10
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Unrealistic Muslims.
    So you think every Arab is a Muslim??!! Someone should check your IQ then....

    Thanks Gypsy

  11. #11
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    So you think every Arab is a Muslim??!! Someone should check your IQ then....
    I didn't insult anyone here. You see how you ES mods always start the problems!

    Plus, I don't expect you to have an IQ higher than mine. Praise Allah for having me in Oman
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  12. #12
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    I didn't insult anyone here. You see how you ES mods always start the problems!

    Plus, I don't expect you to have an IQ higher than mine. Praise Allah for having me in Oman
    Me starting problems...when did that happen?!

    He talked about Arabs in general and you brought up Muslims all of a sudden...!!!

    Well, you dont know my IQ nor I do know yours...so whatever your expecting is just assumptions.

    Thanks Gypsy

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Blumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    As far as I know there are biological factors that have to do with brain size. Ashkenazi jews are the smartest, then Asians, and then Europeans. Arabs and Africans come after Europeans I think (Israel doesn't have the highest IQ because of the Arabs and the other Jewish groups)

    Peninsular Arabs and Israelis ARE Asians! I think you may have just confirmed your hypothesis.

  14. #14
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Blumpkin View Post
    Peninsular Arabs and Israelis ARE Asians! I think you may have just confirmed your hypothesis.
    No I meant by Asians those who have mongoloid features.

    Arabs scored around 80 and those Asians scored around 105! Africans (I'm not talking about Arabs in North Africa here!) scored even less than Arabs. whites around 100


    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Muscat
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    51
    Whilst i dont agree with statistics, you have to remember that the Arabs introduced all sorts of revolutionary thinking and art to the world many centuries ago. So stupidity is not in the DNA, it must be something with social upbringing, constraints and the education system. I am told that much of the education in this part of the world is rote and free and creative thinking is not developed at an early age, just the ability to remember and regurgitate facts (or rubbish in some cases!)

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Whilst i dont agree with statistics, you have to remember that the Arabs introduced all sorts of revolutionary thinking and art to the world many centuries ago. So stupidity is not in the DNA, it must be something with social upbringing, constraints and the education system. I am told that much of the education in this part of the world is rote and free and creative thinking is not developed at an early age, just the ability to remember and regurgitate facts (or rubbish in some cases!)
    Yep, couldnt say it any better then what you just said...the educational system here in Oman is just BAD copies from other systems! No room for creativity whatsoever.

    That why you see most of the people who get high scores just relay on remembering stuff they dont even understand.

    Thanks Gypsy

  17. #17
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Whilst i dont agree with statistics, you have to remember that the Arabs introduced all sorts of revolutionary thinking and art to the world many centuries ago. So stupidity is not in the DNA, it must be something with social upbringing, constraints and the education system. I am told that much of the education in this part of the world is rote and free and creative thinking is not developed at an early age, just the ability to remember and regurgitate facts (or rubbish in some cases!)
    Yeah it's not in the DNA. Probably. But they got to stop destroying themselves!


    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  18. #18
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Yep, couldnt say it any better then what you just said...the educational system here in Oman is just BAD copies from other systems! No room for creativity whatsoever.

    That why you see most of the people who get high scores just relay on remembering stuff they dont even understand.
    You know my IQ might get even higher if I got better education! education in dhofar is the worst in Oman, and public schools suck!

    Lol I'm joking but yeah it has to do with education too.
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  19. #19
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Yeah it's not in the DNA. Probably. But they got to stop destroying themselves!
    Could you please elaborate on "destroying themselves"...what did you really mean by saying that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    You know my IQ might get even higher if I got better education! education in dhofar is the worst in Oman, and public schools suck!

    Lol I'm joking but yeah it has to do with education too.
    Joke or not...I do agree with you on this, public schools in Oman sucks big time!!

    Thanks Gypsy

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Grim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Muscat
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    You know my IQ might get even higher if I got better education! education in dhofar is the worst in Oman, and public schools suck!

    Lol I'm joking but yeah it has to do with education too.
    mimi. Can you tell us non omanis what it is like being taught in an omani school. Lets have some good insightful comments.

  21. #21
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    I wasn't joking about education but the iq. I wasn't joking about education in Dhofar either. It seems Dhofari schools are the worst in Oman although students here study the same curricula you find in public schools in the other parts of Oman.

    @
    Grim:

    I'm not specialized in this thing but I think starting the list of aims of education with
    The aims of Education next-after Basic Education:
    1-Promote loyalty to the homeland and to his Majesty Sultan
    2-Confirm belonging to Gulf society, Arab nation and Muslim world
    3- To affirm faith principles of Islam, and the consolidation of faith and spiritual values among learners, and deploy it in their life and make them a standard of conduct.
    4- The pride in Arabic, and expansion of education, and perfecting the arts mastery, with adequate competence of a language of international communication.
    5- Maintain sense of belonging to the society
    (......)
    http://www.moe.gov.om/portal/sitebui...fterbasic.aspx



    says a lot! I think it basically says that there is not much education in the ministry of education, and that there is obviously some brainwashing going on.

    When they assess you on how neat you are, how long your nails are, how committed to wearing your uniform, and other silly NON educational stuff says a lot too.

    And having at least 5 classes a week on Islamic things says a lot too. I'm not saying this because I'm not a Muslim any longer but because of common sense? Islam takes so much of our time and energy! Now I understand why a few years ago the ministry decreased the number of Islamic classes to 3 a week. I was so angry back then because of that decision. After the Arab spring the minister made them 5 again if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Mimi; 25-01-13 at 08:18 PM.
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  22. #22
    Assistant Administrator
    Mask of Sanity

    HITMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    12,229
    Rep Power
    5556
    An IQ score on its own has no face value without social/emotional intelligence

    Therefore, someone with an IQ of 95 can be more successful than someone with an IQ of 115
    "live & let live"
    "your death is your final awakening"
    "If the mind is perfect then speech is minimal" Commander of the faithful

  23. #23
    Moderator
    Flash of Reality

    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    4,890
    Rep Power
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    Islam takes so much of our time and energy!
    Could you please elaborate...thanks.

    Thanks Gypsy

  24. #24
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    An IQ score on its own has no face value without social/emotional intelligence

    Therefore, someone with an IQ of 95 can be more successful than someone with an IQ of 115
    I remember reading about different types of intelligence, but are they really related to IQ here?!!

    And I always thought that social intelligence isn't that important in academic and scientific fields!!

    I guess the chart supports that too. Arabs care so much about social things but their IQ is low and Arab countries are still backward!

    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  25. #25
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Something is wrong with the forum
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



  26. #26
    ˚ AnGeL WiTh A ShoTGuN ˚ zennosuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Google's Dark Alley
    Posts
    1,108
    Rep Power
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    As far as I know there are biological factors that have to do with brain size. Ashkenazi jews are the smartest, then Asians, and then Europeans. Arabs and Africans come after Europeans I think (Israel doesn't have the highest IQ because of the Arabs and the other Jewish groups)

    http://www.rlynn.co.uk/pages/article...ligence/t4.asp

    Lol I know it's not professional and I'm mixing things up but
    what do you think could be the other factors of low IQ in the Arab world?

    Education must be one of the reasons. I also read an article that says cousin marriage could be one of the reasons. Cousin marriage is not healthy and might affect the coming generations iq. See how traditional things can be destructive?

    Now I'm 100% sure that I shouldn't marry an Arab I won't share my genes with someone with an IQ of 83 (the average in Oman)

    Anyway do you have anything to say about this?



    You're under the impression that you're smart and quite the good catch?


    Well that tells alot about your IQ

  27. #27
    Elite Member
    Big Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    418
    ^ I entered this thread to read your reply. you deserve a *slow clap*

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Danners9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Muscat
    Posts
    813
    Rep Power
    185
    I took an IQ test recently and scored 127. That ranks as 'exceptional' on one scale or 'superior' on another, 145 and over is 'genius' (or 130 as 'exceptional' on the other scale) apparently.

    Feel pretty good about it, I have to say.

  29. #29
    Elite Member
    Big Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Posts
    1,495
    Rep Power
    418
    we all like to blame something or another for our misfortune, yet did you take in mind that in Oman we study in 12th grade Math in the same level of a 2nd year college student? IQ while its slightly connected to education, is more of a person capability to understand and solve problems. IQ is enhanced by education at early age, but not in the slightest the reason for being a genius.

    saying that a subject like "Islamic Teachings" is the reason for the low education is so naive. Why do we take anything except for the Science/ Mathematical subjects? because even reading a book about a hobbit and some dwarfs may add to our knowledge one way or another. So, you don't believe in Islam anymore, well we do and we want to know more, And we want our children to know about it too.

    The real question is, Why do you always keep on twisting things and try to redirect them at Islam? Islam is not your family you know...

  30. #30
    Keefi ♪ Mimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    we all like to blame something or another for our misfortune, yet did you take in mind that in Oman we study in 12th grade Math in the same level of a 2nd year college student? IQ while its slightly connected to education, is more of a person capability to understand and solve problems. IQ is enhanced by education at early age, but not in the slightest the reason for being a genius.

    saying that a subject like "Islamic Teachings" is the reason for the low education is so naive. Why do we take anything except for the Science/ Mathematical subjects? because even reading a book about a hobbit and some dwarfs may add to our knowledge one way or another. So, you don't believe in Islam anymore, well we do and we want to know more, And we want our children to know about it too.

    The real question is, Why do you always keep on twisting things and try to redirect them at Islam? Islam is not your family you know...
    I didn't say it's Islam. But read this:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
    Sigh.

    Muslim and Proud



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Unrest in the Arab world
    By Redirection in forum Politics & World Events Sabla
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-02-11, 06:18 PM
  2. Feminism in the Arab world
    By Storm in forum General Discussion Sabla
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-08-10, 03:51 PM
  3. What the arab world think about Omanis
    By ROMEO in forum General Discussion Sabla
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 24-07-10, 05:49 PM
  4. Oman 1st in Arab World and 8th in the whole World
    By Rossonero in forum The Local Sabla
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 26-03-09, 12:35 AM
  5. News from the arab world !!
    By plutarch in forum Politics & World Events Sabla
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-04, 12:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Links
Join us