Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orphanage in Muscat

Orphanage in Muscat

I would like some information regarding volunteering in an Orphanage in Oman:

Are there any Orphanages located in Muscat?

Do they allow volunteers to help? Are there requirements?

What kind of volunteering activities is allowed?

Now I heard there is one in Khuwair, can anyone inform where exactly it is.
    "Iíll get my revenge. I know Iíve said that I wonít come back to football, but this is too much. Iím not guilty and, when Iíll be back, Iím going to go after the real "criminals" in Italian football", Luciano Moggi, 2007

Genius
    I am interested in volunteering also, how do you apply?

Elite Member
    Its near the Technical College in Khuwair 33 ... just a few buildings away.

Banned
    As Elvenblade said...its in your left hand coming from the college..!

I don't have any information about how it works!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    I am interested in volunteering also, how do you apply?
    Same here... I'm interested in volunteering

I'll go look for it on Thursday I guess.

:: Doodles
    :: Scribblings

Supernova

the Orphanage is called "Dar Re3ayat Al 6ofoola".As mentioned earlier, it is located near Technical College. Mohammed al Maamari is the Manager, Office no. 24479606. I volunteered there once but few years ago, was a lovely experience and this year I arranged to take a few residents there for a visit. Just give him a call and he will guide you regarding volunteering at the orphanage.

Thanks for the info. I just came back from the orphanage, not knowing what to do I brought a few boxes of chocolates, candy and some jig saw puzzles, all new cos they only accept new.
    The directions are correct, just go past the College and where the road bends you will see it.
    I met with the admin and I gave them the items. I asked how else I can help other than donating and they seemed confused at my question. They just told me that right now they are fine with clothes as they had gotten alot of clothes for eid. They asked for food items with fruits in particular. The lady there said that the cafeteria already provides them with apples, bananas, and other regular fruit so she said that they would need more exotic fruits like pears, peaches, pineapple etc.
    I like the fact that they have set standards for donations. Only new items are allowed.
    She was very open when she asked for these things. It' good cos just because they are orphans doesn't mean they have to accept anything substandard. They are not second class citizens and they deserve to enjoy the same luxuries we do.

Next time I go I'll bring fruits like the ones she mentioned.

If anyone knows of any other way to help other than donating please share with us.
    "Iíll get my revenge. I know Iíve said that I wonít come back to football, but this is too much. Iím not guilty and, when Iíll be back, Iím going to go after the real "criminals" in Italian football", Luciano Moggi, 2007

Thats nice. you can visit the kids and sit with them as well, they jump to u once they see a new person coming in and they'd call you Mama or Baba. When i went there this year to visit, i was with my son and he was surprised to see that all the kids called me "Mama"! He was like she is my mama !
    I was requested by a lady who is working in Oman to arrange for a band from an International School here in Oman to play for the kids and the Admin were very happy about it and have welcomed the idea, but unfortunately the lady got an accident and we had to cancel it. But if we are going to do I will let you know, the kids love to see visitors to the orphanage.
    Heaven is missing an angel

I would love to visit the kids, my only concern is I'm a male and all the caretakers are women, maybe they are uncomfortable with me.
    If somebody here wants to go, I would like to tag along.

i want to help but i cant help by buying fruits coz i have no salary :P haha,, but if there were some kind of activities organized to collect money for them & let them decide what they need i would b more the happy to volunteer… b part of the organizing team or help by finding groups of people who can volunteer by either being around to accept orders or ppl with money to sponsor the activities. I mean things like selling things or arranging shows ppl pay to attend even if it was given by talented students or something.

Scorpion the reason why orphans in Oman don’t suffer like in other countries is because there aren’t so many orphanage homes in Oman... tru that the number of orphans is increasing but it's no the way it is in other countries… I hope standers stay the same even if the numbers increase yakhi it breaks my heart to c children suffer…
    The more experience & insight i obtain into human
    nature, the more convinced do I become that the
    greater portion of a man is purelt animal.

Henry Morton Stanely, 1887

No its okay...one of my male friends used to sponsor a kid and he used to visit him every week.but the kid was adopted later....

What do you mean sponsor a kid? That sounds like something I would be interested in.

aw mashallah scoprpion god bless you this is great !

thanks tinta!

Masha'allah thats really great. Well basically you would be sending money through a bank account or cash every month to be used for a kid that you would like to help, any amount that you would like to donate. The kid will stay at the orphanage but you will be ensuring that he/she gets all his/her needs, e.g clothes, toys, books, stationary,.....etc depends on the age of the child and the needs.

Super Moderator

Now I want to sponsor some kids as well. It seems lik the right thing to do. SaLoz, are there any procedures you'd have to go through? Am I supposed to open the bank account under the kid's name or is it sent via the orphanage's bank account?

Also, I was wondering since these kids go to school, do they need any donations like bags, stationary, school uniforms and such? I know I am asking a lot but since you have been there you might have a more know how about it.

Supernova

lol...walla zain...you will get thawab for doing that insha'allah . every child has an account number. You just have to go to them and tell them that you would like to sponsor a child, and you'll be given the account no. to deposit the money for the child.

regarding school kids, yes there are kids who go to school I think the eldest orphan they have is 19 years. You'll have to check if they need school items.

but the best thing to do is to be with the orphans and play with them, they really love seeing people going there and the nannies are really nice and very supportive.

Super Moderator

^^^
    Sounds great. Thanks a million . I'll tag along my tiny little siblings as well so they could mingle with them when I go visit.

Supernova

Yeah the kids will be very excited enjoy!

Honorable Member
    English Sabla can have a bank account and we members can donate in it for the orphanage!

(yes, I know it's hard, but just saying)

* Cartoon theme * * Squinty al-7azeen la laa laaaaaaaaa* (Squinty the sad la laa laaa) said by Soulless
    "Squinty: Same 'happy' mood on all the time, Masha'Allah. A difference is that when he's not feeling good, in real life he keeps quiet. Here, he'd open a thread about it " said by UmKhalid

yeah, good idea

Are there any Orphanages located in Muscat?

Yes.
    Do they allow volunteers to help? Are there requirements?
    Yes.No.
    What kind of volunteering activities is allowed?
    Gift giving. But I don't think money donation is allowed.

Genius
    Scorpion419, I was concerned about the male-thing as well, I'd like to tag along.

Very considerate of you, Scorpion.

I never knew about this.

Blog: Hallucinations
    A Blog About Palestine: A Step
    Book Club: Omani Book Mania

since we are on this topic, does anybody know how you can adopt a child here in Oman. My wife and i have always wanted to adopt a child but we were not sure how to go about. We have a son and we had decided to adopt a child once our son is one year old, Please advice.

omr: there are requirements for adopting, but its better to enquire from them more. They encourage adopting.

Honorable Member
    This is such a kind gesture from you scorpion

Ok hmm I have a question. If we adopt a child, would he/she get the adaptor’s surname? I heard that the child can be given any random surname after finishing school, anyone can confirm this?

I once saw in the newspaper that there is 120 orphange that are waiting to be adopted,,
    omr the requirements is to be married, Omani, Middle age, with a good income and i guess there is another things.. you better check from the Orphanage

Im Omani, married and can afford to give the child a better life but im not middle aged. il have to go and find out the age criteria.
    i dont think the surname matters as long as you love the child as your own. Thanks people.

Wow I would love to adopt, if for any reason I can not have a child. It is a great thing.

Honorable Member
    good thread and good to read about the Good Samaritans on this forum. kudos!!

Wearing Gypsy

Name without Fame is similar to Fire without Flame!!

Thread Information