Thread: City Cinema Now Offers Online Booking

City Cinema Now Offers Online Booking

Movie lovers in the sultanate are in for a pleasant surprise. City Cinema Ruwi, formerly known as Al Nasr cinema, which is undergoing renovation, will soon stun all with its new look. Better seats, better sound and overall a better feel. Come Eid and watching a movie here will be a feast for the eyes.

P Chandrashekhar, group general manager of Jawad Sultan Group of Companies, said that the renovation will be completed by September 20. “We will be open to the public soon after that,” he said.
    “Our entire sound system is undergoing a big change,” he said, adding, “The new seats will be ergonomic, ensure comfort and minimise fatigue.”

The existing 1,022 seats are being reduced by around 200. However, Chandrashekhar confidently said that this was to ensure proper spacing and comfort.

He said the DTS (Digital Theatre System) would significantly enhance sound quality. The top floor would be called the VIP area instead of the box. “The theatre is being carpetted for a more cosy feel.”

“Our plan is to offer a more family-oriented set up, so that the audience can enjoy the feel of home-viewing,” he pointed out.

On the price of tickets, he said that there would be a marginal increase of 15 to 25 per cent from the earlier 800bz for first class, RO1.2 for balcony and RO1.5 for box seats. A new booking window will also be opened to avoid rush during booking hours. City Cinema Shatti will offer online booking facility from September 1, which will be available for City Cinema Ruwi from next year.

Jawad Sultan Group of Companies is currently working on three major projects, which include a new multiplex each in Salalah, Buraimi and Muscat. “We expect to complete them in another 18 to 36 months,” Chandrashekhar said.

Assistant Administrator
    Mask of Sanity

Al-Nasr cinema is for the labor class & lower social class people

You go there only when there are no other options & the only place you can sit are the box seats

The place is full of red colored spit by the Indians/Pakis/Bengalis & some low class local people from poor neighborhoods

The seats are famous for being moist & the place smells like urine

And the cinema most of the time has sewage water in front of it
    "live & let live"
    "your death is your final awakening"
    "If the mind is perfect then speech is minimal" Commander of the faithful

Infinity Member

The option for online booking been there since they launched the new website. But, it was disabled! I wonder why it took all this time?!

Overpriced tickets for stuff that are hardly improved. When I was in India, I used to pay 80 Rupees for a balcony or box seat, that was something like 800 Baisa & those were fine cinemas.

Infinity Member

The online booking is working now, I think they reserved like 42 seats to be booked online & they charge 200 Baisa for each seat you book online that of course plus to the original price of the ticket, they send you the tickets to your email & you are supposed to print them out I assume. Add to that the seats you get to choose are on the 6th or 7th row I guess.

What a rip off!

^ print them :/ wth LOL !a rip off

That's not flying, I am just falling with style

Filly's Psycho

ahhh, this sucks ...
    I thought it's like they give you a voucher number or something then you'll have to claim your tickets later on ...

this might work fine fir first shows
    when you are so in need of tickets ...

Thanks Yuffie

Honorable Member
    hmm... people are gonna be that desperate to go for a movie in Al-Nasr err City Cinema?? damn... though i used to go to that theater before Ruwi Cinema came up... then i switched completely to dvd's after buying the home theater system !!!
    @NiGhTFaCe: 80 bucks for a balcony/box seat how long back??? prices have increased signficantly in India and still ppl flock to the overpriced halls!!

Wearing Gypsy

Name without Fame is similar to Fire without Flame!!

Administrator

The only country in the world where online booking is more expensive than regular booking. They're really milking us for what we're worth and it's just painful that we have no other choices. What a pathetic situation we're forced to accept in this painfully slowly progressing country.
    Follow my thoughts and work:

Quote Originally Posted by NiGhTFaCe View Post
    The option for online booking been there since they launched the new website. But, it was disabled! I wonder why it took all this time?!

Overpriced tickets for stuff that are hardly improved. When I was in India, I used to pay 80 Rupees for a balcony or box seat, that was something like 800 Baisa & those were fine cinemas.
    Its more like 300-350 rupees in towns and arounf 500 odd in the bigger cities, now that multiplexes have sprung up.

Walk on, walk on,
    With hope, in your heart....

MasterMind Member
    6th or 7th row!??!?! From top or bottom?! =/

.. & Always remember, LIFE doesn't owe you a living; it was here 1st.

Honorable Member
    I like the online booking idea but dislike the print the ticket and extra charge for purchasing the tickets online??? what for??? strange....

and as lak stated incremental rise in ticket prices forget the balcony and box i think they have been discontd or meant only for VIP customers!!!

Wearing Gypsy

Elite Member
    What will come from Al-Shatti cinema? Lol your complaining about the 200 baisa let me tell you a story then.

I once ordered nachos, the guy asked me if i want cheese n jalapenos, so after he made all of the service i told him can you please add more cheese and jalapenos he said you will have to pay more for that. I went like wtf lol i pay more for cheese? Why? Its just cheese for gods sack CHEESE CHEESE! not petrol!
    Ill rip my heart out and hand you the shit

Honorable Member
    @Wolverine: i got one... at a subway store i asked for extra Olives to which i get a reply "Sorry sir, company policy Olives are very expensive and thus we cant give u more" i was like - Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... WTF....

Wearing Gypsy

Infinity Member

Quote Originally Posted by delta619 View Post
    @NiGhTFaCe: 80 bucks for a balcony/box seat how long back??? prices have increased signficantly in India and still ppl flock to the overpriced halls!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lak47 View Post
    Its more like 300-350 rupees in towns and arounf 500 odd in the bigger cities, now that multiplexes have sprung up.
    I was speaking of 2002/2003 when I was there, never been to India since then, so I am not sure of the prices now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatiko View Post
    6th or 7th row!??!?! From top or bottom?! =/
    How many rows does the hall have?! Lets say its almost the middle.

Okay, I was in the cinema today & turned out that you collect the tickets from the cinema itself after booking them.

Filly's Psycho

^ owwwk ... so do you like have a number, or a booking name ?
    what exactly is the process !

Thanks Yuffie

MasterMind Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiGhTFaCe View Post
    How many rows does the hall have?! Lets say its almost the middle.
    What if the movie was labeled as "Free Seating" .. ? I think u'll get the chance to sit anywhere u want, even if u booked online.

Infinity Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matiii View Post
    ^ owwwk ... so do you like have a number, or a booking name ?
    what exactly is the process !
    I didn't complete the process when I was testing it, how I came to know about collecting the tickets from the cinema, well I noticed there was a specific window at the counter where they deal with online reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatiko View Post
    What if the movie was labeled as "Free Seating" .. ? I think u'll get the chance to sit anywhere u want, even if u booked online.
    Yeah of course, actually when its a free seating, they skip the process of choosing the seats. But, my concern is when I am booking online in advance & I am paying more, why I don't get the ability to go for better rows.

Filly's Psycho

NF, aren't the middle rows like the best you can get when you go to the cinema ?

Thanks Yuffie

MasterMind Member
    ^ The first four rows are the best, Matiii.

Filly's Psycho

^ from the top right ?

I get ya ... but maybe they wanted to give seats in the middle so everyone is happy !
    not everyone likes to sit at the back ...

Thanks Yuffie

Honorable Member
    @NiGhTFaCe : hmmm... maybe but i remember Mumbai & Hyderabad charging me a bomb to sit in the halls and fleecing me when going for intervals !! but i was on holiday so who cared !!

@Matiii: always love the corner seats and the back ones!!!

Wearing Gypsy

Infinity Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matiii View Post
    NF, aren't the middle rows like the best you can get when you go to the cinema ?
    People prefer the seats at the back, I do too. The customer should been given the right to choose which seat he/she wants out of all seats available, shouldn't be limited to a certain area of the hall.

Honorable Member
    I agree with NiGhTFaCe ... i love the back row seats or corner seats!!! we should get the power to choose if paying a premium!!! and i detest the open seating policy sucks big time!!!

Wearing Gypsy

Filly's Psycho

haven't you guys considered that they might just be in the testing phase ?
    if they saw it's working fine (the online booking) they'll actually include more seats ...
    we are slow you know

Thanks Yuffie

Infinity Member

Matiii, they aren't testing & the issue isn't with the number of seats! I think the 42 seats reserved for online booking is enough, the issue is with the location of the seats, are you getting it now?!

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    Al-Nasr cinema is for the labor class & lower social class people

You go there only when there are no other options & the only place you can sit are the box seats

The place is full of red colored spit by the Indians/Pakis/Bengalis & some low class local people from poor neighborhoods

The seats are famous for being moist & the place smells like urine

And the cinema most of the time has sewage water in front of it
    LoL, Hitman.

Quote Originally Posted by NaBHaN View Post
    The only country in the world where online booking is more expensive than regular booking. They're really milking us for what we're worth and it's just painful that we have no other choices. What a pathetic situation we're forced to accept in this painfully slowly progressing country.
    And seriously, what's so special about this cinema? NOTHING !!

one degree between perfection and intelligence

I don't go to that so called "Cinema". I thought it was going to be the City Cinema in Shatti

Filly's Psycho

Nighty. I get you man
    I was just saying that maybe they wanna see how many or how well this thing will go before offering a full theatre online booking

Im with you guys.paying extra 200 id like to sit wherever i want.top row will do good
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ewwwwwwwwww al shatti cinema and al bahja cinema (never been to the other cinemas) I prefer watching movies in Dubai, I'm definitely going when new moon comes out, seriously they have no right at all to raise the tickets prices and make them as expensive as those big good quality cinemas outside Oman , whoever told them it's okay, people are getting waaay too greedy!

Thanks Mudrich

Honorable Member
    Liked only Ruwi Cinema and Shattii though i detested their open seating!!!

Wearing Gypsy

Thread Information