Thread: Fasting and Stomach Acidity

cake Fasting and Stomach Acidity

Salam.

I was wondering, does fasting increase or decrease the acidity of the stomach?

Because my understanding was that fasting is good for the stomach, because there is no food, and thus no extra acid is produced.

So for example people with astroesophageal reflux disease will feel better when they are fasting as long as they don't full up their stomachs and sleep and don't eat irritating food ...etc. But I read on the Internet that fasting for long hours increased the acidity of the stomach!

Which is right?

Thanks.

Assistant Administrator
    Mask of Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Ducklet Cat

I was wondering, does fasting increase or decrease the acidity of the stomach?
    Gastric acid is produced in response to food intake to aid the process of digestion, so when there is no intake then normally there shouldn't be acid secretion

But I read on the Internet that fasting for long hours increased the acidity of the stomach!
    That is not true as per my knowledge, it will be good of you share with us what you read
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unless the person is suffering from a chronic gastric condition, fasting should not be a problem for him/her

Chronic gastritis due to a bacteria called H Pylori is quite common & those suffering from it should get treated

Also a condition known as Zollinger Ellison syndrome causes increased gastric acidity & ulcers, such patients should consult their Dr's about the possibility of fasting
    "live & let live"
    "your death is your final awakening"
    "If the mind is perfect then speech is minimal" Commander of the faithful

but hitman, when you get really really hungry...i get pains in my stomach....for example if i smell food and i'm not eating. isn't that stomach acidity?

if one already suffers of gastritis or reflux is a problem, specially first days
    I take my medications the week before every day, and later when necessary and it goes ok
    my first experience with heartburn was cause of kawa, the first Ramadan I was here
    At the hospital they were laughing cause they said is normal for them to have these cases in the first week of Ramadan
    The man who’s been beaten is worth two who haven’t.

Elite Member
    minerva.. I think thts yr stomach muscles starting to contract.

Good night for "good": you'all gonna understand

Quote Originally Posted by Diabian View Post
    minerva.. I think thts yr stomach muscles starting to contract.
    it all goes away if i have bite of bread.

Thanks everyone

Here is the link Dr. Hitman:
    http://www.emro.who.int/publications.../article15.htm

It says:
    Increased gastric acidity is common when fasting during Ramadan
    Also this link:
    http://vb.adma1.com/t31373.html
    ((( من مسببات الصداع أيضا في الصيام )))

تغيير عادات تناول الطعام والشراب ‏والإحساس بالجوع.

زيادة حموضة المعدة‏.
    These were shocking for me to read, because common sense tells me it is just the apposite.

When I'm fasting I get a feeling of nausea when I wake up in the morning, but that is probably because I eat and sleep directly after that, plus I drink a lot of water right before fajr prayer (acting like a camel trying to store water ). I think I need to do something to cut this habit.

Happy and healthy Ramadan to everyone.

Assistant Administrator
    Mask of Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by minerva
    when you get really really hungry...i get pains in my stomach....for example if i smell food and i'm not eating. isn't that stomach acidity?
    Only by thinking of food & smelling it, the salivary glands get activated & there are stomach contractions or hunger pains

In healthy individuals, staying hungry or fasting shouldn't be a concern at all, those with suspected underlying GI conditions should get tested

These were shocking for me to read, because common sense tells me it is just the apposite.
    This study is unreliable, simply because the sample size is extremely small, you can't conclude a fact based on trial of only 6 volunteers!
    "live & let live"

MasterMind Member
    For me I could not fast because of health reasons. Those who are unable to do so during Ramadan do they fast in other ways?

"Be in love with your memories because they make you who you are today..."

My blog: marianna68.wordpress.com

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marianna View Post
    For me I could not fast because of health reasons. Those who are unable to do so during Ramadan do they fast in other ways?
    For those who are unable to fast, they are simply required to provide a meal for someone who needs it for everyday they don't fast.

MasterMind Member
    ^^^Well that's nice and reasonable. If I had to fast you would be picking me up off the floor due to having a low blood sugar count.

"Be in love with your memories because they make you who you are today..."

My blog: marianna68.wordpress.com

Thanks ^_^

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marianna View Post
    ^^^Well that's nice and reasonable. If I had to fast you would be picking me up off the floor due to having a low blood sugar count.
    Thats the beauty of Islam Marianna, everything is nice and reasonable

This is another study that says that fasting increases the acid :S

The influence of the Ramadan on the gastric secretion has been assessed in 13 volunteers. Their basal and pentagastrin-stimulated secretion has been collected before, during and one month after the Ramadan. Gastric activity, pepsin activity, sialic acid bound to glycoprotein, choline and gastrinaemia have been measured. During Ramadan, acid secretion was increased (+ 159%; P = 0.02) and it recovered the pre-Ramadan level, one month later. Pepsin secretion was also increased during the Ramadan (+ 133%; P = 0.05) and it was significantly reduced after Ramadan. The secretion before the Ramadan was related to vagal hypertony, decreased during Ramadan and was substituted by a gastrinic stimulation after the Ramadan. Mucolysis and gastrinaemia were not modified and no duodenogastric reflux was observed during and after the Ramadan. The Ramadan induces an increase of acid and pepsin secretion. This increase was reversed when Ramadan stopped. These gastric secretion modifications are likely involved in the increase of dyspeptic symptoms observed during the Ramadan.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7...ubmed_RVDocSum

And this:

OBJECTIVES: Lifestyle changes during Ramadan as the meals are taken exclusively in the evening, and nightly sleep is often delayed and shortened. The wake/sleep cycle is also modified. The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of Ramadan on gastric acidity in healthy volunteers. METHODS: Nine healthy volunteers had 24-hour measurement of the gastric pH; 4 periods were compared: one week prior to Ramadan, day 10 and day 24 during Ramadan, and one month after Ramadan. The pH profiles and the [H+] activity (area under the curve) were measured during 24 hours, the night phase (5PM-8AM) and diurnal phase (8AM-5PM). RESULTS: The diurnal variations of the pH profile were more significant; the median pH was 2.3 prior to Ramadan, 1 at day 10 and day 24 and 1.6 one month after Ramadan. The 24-hours [H+] activity increased by 45% at day 10 of Ramadan compared with its level prior to Ramadan. This increase was mostly diurnal (+122%) and also nightly (+25%). The activity [H+] was steady during Ramadan. One month after Ramadan, the 24-hours [H+] activity was 23% higher than the one noted before Ramadan. CONCLUSIONS: This study shows that the conditions of feeding imposed by Ramadan are associated with an increase of the gastric acidity mainly in diurnal phase. These results do not explain the origin of the healthy volunteer digestive symptoms encountered during Ramadan.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum
    Last edited by Ducklet Cat; 03-09-08 at 01:32 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    Mask of Sanity

Ducklet, I told you that those studies are pilot studies, not reliable, very small samples & the confounding factors have not been mentioned
    "live & let live"

Yeah, you are right about the sample, I did not pay much attention to that. I though that pubMed was THE authoritative source for medical researches, but it seems scrutiny is required always.

Thanks doctor Hitman.

Salam,

I would like to have the advice of the doctor here, if possible. I had a problem of acidity about 8 years ago. Got it treated. However, since then, I haven't been able to fast for more than 14 days without falling sick. After aftari, I feel as if I will spit fire if I try to. I feel my esophagus burning. Do you think it's still an acidity problem?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

I wonder how healthy fasting is in general. I always have health problems during Ramadhan. Have you wondered about how it effects periods too? A friend of mine told me that her periods have been irregular since god knows when. She said that her first irregular period started in Ramadhan.
    Sigh.

Muslim and Proud

Thread Information